Editorial WorkflowKorean PDF file
Regulations for Manuscript Review of Phonetics and Speech Sciences
Adopted on January 14, 2009
Article 1. (Purpose)
These regulations aim to provide standards for the review and publication of manuscripts submitted to the Journal of the Korean Society of Speech Sciences (hereinafter referred to as the society).
Article 2. (Editorial Board)
① The Editor-in-Chief shall be chairperson of the Editorial Board.
② One or two Associate Editors-in-Chief, and one to six Editors shall be elected to address technical papers in each subject area. The maximum number of Board members shall be eighteen.
③ The Editor-in-Chief may appoint an Editorial Manager among the Board members when necessary.
Article 3. (Appointment, Office Term, and Requirements of Editorial Board members)
① The Editor-in-Chief shall be elected in the Executive Council by the recommendation of the Standing Executive Board considering his or her research capacity and experience in related areas.
② The office term of the Editor-in-Chief shall be two years.
③ Associate Editors-in-Chief and Editors shall be elected by recommendation of the Editor-in-Chief considering his or her research capacity and experiences in related areas and confirmed by the Executive Council’s deliberation. The office terms of the Editors shall be one year and can be renewable.
④ Associate Editors-in-Chief and Editors shall be elected among professional members with doctoral degrees in areas related to the major research areas of the society and with distinguished research achievements in their major field.
Article 4. (Scope of Duties of the Editor-in-Chief, Associate Editors-in-Chief, and Editors)
① The Editor-in-Chief shall direct the overall process of review and publication of submitted manuscripts.
② The Associate Editors-in-Chief shall direct the process of review in their assigned area and recommend reviewers for just and fair reviews of the manuscripts. They will be in charge of the final editing process.
③ The Editors shall recommend reviewers and edit submitted manuscripts.
④ The Editorial Manager shall support the Editor-in-Chief and handle administrative jobs in the review and publication of submitted manuscripts.
⑤ The Editor-in-Chief, Associate Editors-in-Chief, Editors, and Editorial Manager may be paid for their duties.
Article 5. (Principles and Standards of Manuscript Review)
① Principles of Manuscript Review
- 1. The Journal of the Korean Society of Speech Sciences shall publish articles of distinguished originality in the given area that provide major contributions to the academic circle.
- 2. The Journal of the Korean Society of Speech Sciences shall publish articles, book reviews, and technological reports related to the areas of the society.
- 3. The Journal of the Korean Society of Speech Sciences shall publish manuscripts from the members of the society.
- 4. Reviewers shall observe the Ethical Principles of the Korean Society of Speech Sciences for Research.
② <Classifications of Review>
- 1. Reviews of submitted manuscripts shall be categorized into regular reviews and urgent reviews.
- 2. Regular reviews shall be conducted by general review routines.
- 3. Urgent reviews shall be conducted by request to the Editor-in-Chief for contributors who want to obtain immediate reviewers’ comments within a short period and who pay the urgent review fee. The review period will be shorter than that of the regular review process, and the review results will be reported immediately.
③ Criteria for Manuscript ReviewsSubmitted manuscripts shall be reviewed by the following criteria.
- 1. Appropriateness of title
- 2. Conciseness of abstract content
- 3. Appropriateness and relevance to areas of the Journal of the Korean Society of Speech Sciences
- 4. Appropriateness of the abstract in English
- 5. Appropriateness of the introduction (research motivation, backgrounds, necessity, and relevance to previously reported results)
- 6. Creativity of manuscript content
- 7. Conciseness and appropriateness of research methods, results, and developments
- 8. Appropriateness of manuscript format (references, figures, tables, signs, and mathematical expressions)
- 9. Academic value of manuscripts (excellence, and contribution)
- 10. Validity of conclusions
Article 6. (Manuscript Review Procedure)
① <Reception of Manuscripts> Immediately after a manuscript is submitted online, the Associate Editors-in-Chief should receive manuscripts from the online system and give notice of receipt to the authors.
② <Nomination of Reviewers> The Associate Editors-in-Chief should nominate three professionals in the major research area for each manuscript.
③ <Requests of Review> The Associate Editors-in-Chief should request the three reviewers to review a manuscript as early as possible.
④ <Notification of Review Results> The Reviewers should upload the review results to the online system within fourteen days from the request date of the first review (as early as possible for urgent reviews). The results of the second review should be uploaded within seven days. In the case of suggesting revisions, reviewers should specifically state which part of the manuscript should be revised. Reviewers should evaluate the manuscript by one of the following four options.
- 1. Accepted for publication without any revision (Authors may revise the manuscript partially)
- 2. To be accepted with revisions (Accepted for publication by the Editorial Board without any further review if the manuscript is revised according to the reviewers’ demands.)
- 3. To be reviewed after revisions (Those reviewers who choose the second review after revisions will review the manuscript.)
- 4. Rejected (Current contents of the manuscript are inappropriate for publication. No new submission with the same title and contents is acceptable.) Second reviewers should evaluate the manuscript by one of the options (a), (b), and (d) above.
⑤ <Review Reminder> The Associate Editors-in-Chief shall provide a late reminder to reviewers who do not provide their evaluation within the designated review period; the reviewers should then submit their evaluation within five days after the notice. When the reviewer does not do so, the Associate Editor-in-Chief may dismiss the reviewer and nominate a new reviewer, including the Associate Editor-in-Chief himself or herself.
⑥ <Final Decision of Manuscript Review> The Associate Editors-in-Chief shall make the final decision of manuscript review considering all the reviewers’ evaluations as follows:
- 1. When all three reviewers’ evaluations are unanimous, they shall be the final decision.
- 2. When two reviewers’ evaluations are the same and the remaining third reviewer’s evaluation is different from them, the two evaluations in consensus shall be the final decision.
- 3. When all three reviewers’ evaluations are different, the middle option in the list above shall be the final decision. If one of the reviewers recommends rejection, the final decision shall be “To be reviewed after revisions”.
⑦ <Notification of the First Review Decision> When the first reviewers’ decision is made, the Associate Editors-in-Chief shall give notice to the contributor immediately.
⑧ <Revision Process of Submitted Manuscript> Contributors who received a notice of the first review decision of “Accepted for publication without any revision” or “To be accepted with revisions” should upload the revised manuscripts and detailed comments on how they incorporated the reviewers’ demands for revisions to the online system as soon as possible. Contributors may raise arguments against the reviewers’ demands.
⑨ <Manuscript Renunciation> The Editorial Board will consider the manuscript as renounced if the contributor sends an email of renunciation to the Editor-in-Chief or does not submit a revised manuscript within fourteen days after the decision notice without any special reason.
⑩ <Second Review Decision> For the second review, the Associate Editors-in-Chief shall make a final decision of “Accepted for publication without any revision”, “To be accepted with revisions” or “Rejected” after considering the reviewers’ evaluations and give notice of the decision to the contributor immediately.
⑪ <Final Acceptance of Publication> The decision of final acceptance for publication shall be made by the Editor-in-Chief considering the reviewers’ evaluations, the contributors’ detailed comments of revision, and any evaluations of further review available. When there is a conflicting issue in the final decision, the Editor-in-Chief shall call for a meeting of the Editorial Board to discuss the matter.
⑫ <Notification of the Final Acceptance> The Editor-in-Chief shall give notice of the final acceptance to the contributor within fourteen days of the decision date.
⑬ <Revision of the Finally Accepted Manuscript> The Editor-in-Chief may demand further revision of the finally accepted manuscript in terms of format and style. Contributors are not allowed to make overall revisions, except for a few corrections of serious errors or mistakes.
⑭ <Review Nullification of Manuscripts in Violation of the Ethical Principles> The Editor-in-Chief and Associate Editors-in-Chief will nullify the review process when the manuscript in review is found to be in violation of the Ethical Principles and report to the Ethics Committee to discuss the matter.
Article 7. (Frequency and Date of Journal Publication)
① The Journal of the Korean Society of Speech Sciences shall be issued quarterly (March 31, June 30, September 30, December 31).
② The Editorial Board may change the frequency and date of journal publication.③ The Editorial Board may publish additional English or special issues.
Article 8. (Security)
① The Editorial Board shall maintain anonymity among contributors and reviewers.
② No personal information of manuscript reviewers shall be revealed to others.
These regulations shall be effective as of January 14, 2009.